Central UMC was organized around 1829 as Lebanon Methodist Episcopal Church, and was located on North Main Street, just north of the present intersection with Lebanon Street. Little is known of the early history of the congregation. In 1858 the congregation relocated to South Main Street, built a new building, and became known as Main Street Methodist. Then, in 1894, the congregation relocated to the corner of Dixie and Franklin Street (where the parking lot for Moody Funeral Home is at present), built a magnificent brick church, and changed the name to Central. In 1965 the congregation moved to its present location on North Main Street, constructing another large and beautiful church building. Central continues in the tradition of those who have gone before, bearing witness to Jesus and his love in Mount Airy and the surrounding area.